Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lord of the Flies


I first read Lord of the Flies in high school. I believe sophomore year, but I don't remember how I felt about it. I recently read it again because I start teaching it tomorrow. The story itself is interesting. It took me a while to get into it, but after a chapter or two I really liked it. It's interesting because I think Golding does an incredible job of depicting human nature. The coolest part is that he uses kids to show just how crazy people can get when it comes to power. He also explores the idea of whether or not people are inherently good or bad. Do we just behave because those are societies standards? I am really interested to see what students think. Hopefully I can convince my kids that it's a good story. They normally don't believe me.

No comments: