Tuesday, March 9, 2010

When I was in high school I assumed my teachers knew their subjects inside and out. I assumed that if I asked them a question about anything within math, english, history, etc (whatever subject they taught)- they would know the answer. How could they not? They got the degree. Naive. I know. Maybe I just had awesome teachers and they really did know everything. :/ When I became a teacher I realized this was not the case. I also realize that my students expect the same from me- which sometimes gets awkward because I don't know everything. (Mark it down- I just admitted that I in fact do not know everything.) I never knew how much work it could be preparing lessons and trying to figure out what questions students would ask, and of course, making sure I could answer those questions. Some questions though I just cannot prepare for. And those are the ones that usually make me laugh. Saying all of this brings me to the topic of the day: Coaching.



Last night was my first official softball practice. I wasn't the best player, but I don't think I was too bad. I have enough experience to coach- right? Nope. Wrong. Heck- I had no idea what all went into coaching. I should note that I am not even the head coach- just assistant. But still- I should have paid attention better. I feel CLUELESS. I have never felt clueless when it comes to softball. That's why I played it. I know softball. I understand softball. That's also why I decided to help coach it. Well let me just tell you- the past few weeks of preparation have been a rude awakening as to how clueless I am.



Knowing the game is only part of it. I know the rules, where to make the next play, how to throw (if you want to throw sidearmed that is- but I can teach the "real" way too), how to hit, bunt, catch, steal- you get the picture. So why have I spent hours and hours reading about drills and testing them in my living room, watching all sorts of batting stances, trying to figure out if a flat footed catcher is better than one standing on the balls of her feet, relearning a little bit of the lingo, trying to figure out the best way to teach quick and soft hands- again, you get the idea.

I also can remember hating the fact we had to practice everyday. Again, rude awakening. I now practice 6 days a week and then go home to try to figure out what worked, what didn't, and what I need to figure out.

I have done as much softball research as I have done short story/ poem/ novel research. It's ridiculous. I had no idea my coaches worked this hard. I mean, they played- I assumed they knew it. False. They may have a general idea, but to be able to teach something you have to know it through and through. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. You have to come up with drills and remember all of them. It's tough. I honestly feel like an idiot sometimes- and I never felt dumb in softball.

All I have to say is that this year has pushed me out of my comfort zone completely. It's nuts. I have learned more the past seven months than I learned all 4 years in college. Stupid college. I paid to read. Anyway- coaching is hard. Really hard. And sometimes quite intimidating. The next 3 months should be interesting.

Having said all this- I did not give my coaches (and teachers- but that's a whole other blog post) enough credit. They worked their butts off.

No comments: