Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Book Worth Talking About

As I have talked about before, state tests kind of suck, but I understand the necessity. On that note, Indiana has given the ISTEP test to high school students the past few years. Students are tested over English and Math, and have to pass the test in order to graduate without a waiver. Obviously, not every student passes the test. For those who don't, there is something called remediation. I teach a remediation class to Juniors and Seniors who have trouble passing the test. Side note- Indiana no longer does the ISTEP, but has joined many other stated in giving End Of Course exams for English, Math, and Science. So, my class is made up of wonderful students who struggle with English- making my job difficult. To get them interested in a book is hard, and when I find one, it's definitely worth sharing.

So here it is:

Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson, hit home to my students for many reasons. Speak deals with depression, school, teachers, friends, boys, and rape.

Speak is told through the eyes of a freshman girl who is struggling with all of the above. She takes the reader on a journey of her first year of high school, allowing us to feel what she feels. The book is sarcastic, funny, sad, random at times, and frustrating. It stirs up emotions in the reader that any good book should.

My students connected to this book because they have all, at one time or another, felt like outcasts. They related to the story in many different ways. Though this book is not one I would teach in a regular class, it is one I will continue teaching in remediation.

And I recommend it in general. Very good. :)

1 comment:

hannah said...

One of my favorite books that I studied in college (adolescent lit, I believe). I hope to teach it one day! One of my favorite parts throughout is the suggestions of the school mascot. :)