Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cornbread and Wheat Bread

This recipe is delicious. I usually just make Jiffy cornbread because it's cheap, sweet, and delightful. I thought I would try this one since I have a snow day. It doesn't take much longer than using Jiffy, but it does dirty an additional bowl. I don't think it's as sweet as Jiffy. I do believe it's worth it though. Very yummy!

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Sweet-Corn-Muffins.pdf

On another note, Chris and I have officially gone 1 month without buying bread! I have made all of our sandwich bread, rolls, and pizza crust. My new favorite Wheat Bread Recipe is as follows:

Ingredients:
1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Instructions:
1. *Combine first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; stir.

2. Add flours and yeast, and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes. (An hour at my house; I guess it's cold...)

3. Punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth and then form into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pan and cover.  Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. If loaf starts browning too soon, lightly lay a piece of foil on top of the loaf to prevent too much darkening.

5. Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in pan for a few minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cover with a cloth. Slice and enjoy while still warm!  Leftover bread can be stored in an airtight bag or frozen until needed.
Recipe from http://www.tammysrecipes.com/ under "Homemade Wheat Bread".

No comments: