Saturday, April 23, 2011

Prom.

I chaperoned prom last Saturday. Two of my colleagues and I got dressed up, went to dinner, and then headed to the dance.

It was...ummm.... awkward. There's no better word. Maybe eye-opening? I'll go with both.

After saying hi to our lovely students, who truly did look great (I loved seeing how dresses have changed since my prom 6 years ago), we found seats near the dance floor and made ourselves comfortable.

Without realizing it, we all crossed our arms, developed glares, and were intently watching our students. We looked like teachers.

For the first time, I felt like a teacher. I turned and looked at my posse (as my Principal calls us), and just started laughing. How did it take me two years to realize I was a teacher? And why at prom did I suddenly come to this realization? Probably from quotes like this:

"Are they really dancing like that?"
"They don't know what dancing is."
"They aren't even facing each other."
"Where are his hands? Can you see his hands? We need to see his hands."
"Why would her mother let her walk out in that?"
"They must have no discipline at their house."
"These kids need to realize there is more to life than fitting in."
"They are a couple? Why in the world?"
"Why are they not facing each other? Is it because they are being so inappropriate that they can't make eye contact?"
"Do we need to let her parents know what she's doing?"
"He better move his hands right now...."
"That's the same move they've done all night. Even I can dance better than that."
"Do we need to show them how to dance."
"I can't see in the middle of the floor. Do we need to go make sure they're ok?"

That's all I can remember right now. It was odd. But hey, at least now I know I'm a teacher.




A picture of my senior prom. Just for kicks. I don't even know who some of these people are...

1 comment:

hannah said...

This made me laugh - I chaperone prom tonight and have a feeling I'll be doing the same thing!