Saturday, March 26, 2011

Life Without Cable

Best. Decision. Ever.

For Real.

I previously posted about how much I got done the weekish we got rid of cable. I was so productive, but I had a few worries about how much I would miss it over spring break and the summer when I was home by myself.

I do need to add that Chris and I did get Netflix, so we aren't completely unreliant on television. We are able to watch movies and select TV Shows on demand, which is nice when the weather is cold. Like 10 months out of the year. :(

This past week was my spring break; the first time to put my no-cable-is-awesome attitude to the test. Surprisingly, I still feel that having no cable is awesome. I know, I was shocked too. I baked, read, ran, visited, blogged, etc, instead of filling the silence with mindless TV. Not that I have anything against it, in fact, I love it. That's the problem.

It was actually very refreshing to have the TV off ALL week. Except of course when Chris and I watched an episode of Monk. I don't think I have ever experienced that much silence. I feel like sometimes if TV is an option I choose it over other things. But with TV not being an option, I do other, "more productive" things- which makes me feel better about my time away from school. Don't get me wrong though, I do enjoy a good movie to relax!

The best thing about no cable is when my students ask me if I saw an episode of a show, and I tell them we don't have cable so I didn't see it. They look at me like I am a weirdo. It's pretty awesome. But it goes to show how reliant Americans are on TV. People ask us how we do it, or why would we ever want to not have cable. They also recommend cheaper places for cable, because obviously the only reason someone wouldn't have cable is if they couldn't afford it. It would never be by choice.

Chris and I have agreed that there will not be cable back on at the Middaughs' for a long while. It really has been refreshing to have the TV off 99% of the time. The only thing we have missed are the sports. Which we can get over. ;)

1 comment:

Meagan said...

My mom didn't get cable until the summer before I graduated from college, so I used to get that look ALL THE TIME when people asked me about TV shows.