Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Our Plans; God's Plans

"Let me see your kindness to me in the morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for my prayer is sincere." Psalm 143:8

It seems I am always praying this. My senior year of high school I was stuck between two colleges. I could attend one that was cheaper and bigger- and see Chris a few days a month. Or I could choose the smaller, more expensive school- and see Chris everyday. It was, at that point in my life, the hardest decision. I remember praying and praying, hoping God would send a sign. Preferably a big one, because I don't always like to listen when he talks. I worried. I cried. I just knew that my whole life depended on this decision. In April, he definitely sent a sign, though it was to a totally different school. One I hadn't even looked at. It was one of the absolute, best decisions I have ever made. Lesson learned: Sometimes God's plans are TOTALLY different than ours.

My senior year of college, Chris and I were planning a wedding and the next step of our lives. Chris was applying to graduate schools all over the country, and I was patiently waiting. Not really. This was actually a really difficult, exciting time. I was scared. I had no peace or trust that everything would turn out. I had job opportunities in the state, and was giving those up for my husband's perspective grad school opportunities. I was not trusting of this decision though- I remember doubting him and God. I just knew it wasn't going to work out. Needless to say, it worked out. We ended up in a wonderful town, at a wonderful school, and have met wonderful people. Lesson learned: God's plans are so much better than I can plan for myself.

Currently, Chris is applying for jobs. I think we counted 13 states a few days ago. Until a few days ago we had heard nothing back. When we finally heard from 3 of the jobs, it was a day full of rejections. This process has been long, and isn't close to being over, but I have honestly never felt a peace like I do now. Others seem worried that he won't be able to find a job- but we aren't. At all. He applies for one every few days (usually the first day they are posted); I know he is doing his best to find a job. I also know that he is seeking God in this process. And that makes all the difference. Whether he finds a job now, in August, or next year- we know, without a doubt, we are following God's plans for our lives.
I recently got a "reduction in force" notice to only work part time next year. It was an interesting few weeks to say the least. When people found out about the "RIF", they were very concerned, but me, I was fine. I am not sure why, because normally I am one who freaks out about everything- especially when plans don't go my way. But I didn't. I never worried. For the first time in my life, I knew God had it all figured out. And boy does he! I got an offer to work part time at another local school- a better school (for many reasons). How awesome that God would take something bad and turn it in to something amazing!

If there is one life lesson that I have learned so far, it is to trust in God's plans for my life. He knows what he's doing, and if I let him lead the way (whether I like his idea or not), he will lead me exactly where I am meant to be.

Jeremiah 29- 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

No comments: