Friday, June 10, 2011

Before I Fall

I'm not sure how I feel about this book. I finished it yesterday on the ride home from Tulsa and have been thinking about it ever since, but I didn't really like it. I mean, it was entertaining and I couldn't stop reading it, but I wasn't a huge fan of the ending.

*Spoiler alert*
The reader knows at the beginning how the book will end. Samantha begins by dying which means that's  how it will end(though I kept hoping something miraculous would happen).  She's a popular girl who is characterized as the mean popular girl everyone is familiar with from other books and movies. She dies in a car accident- which of course involves drinking. She then wakes up the next morning like nothing has happened, but it's still the same day. She relives the day 7 times- perfecting it each day. She changes her actions, and by doing so, changes fate. She still dies at the end, but she dies saving a life.

My issues with the book: 1.) She dies in a drunk driving accident. A problem in high schools all over the country. And it's not addressed. I mean, when she finally perfects her day she isn't drinking- but still. It's not a big deal. For something that causes so many deaths it should have been addressed more in this book that is targeted at young adults. 2.) Drinking is a way of high school life. And yes, I know it is in real life, but in this book it was ridiculous- and it was  portrayed as okay. 3.) She falls in love on the 6th and 7th day knowing she is still going to end the day by dying. This was just me being a romantic. I wanted her to live so she didn't break her new beau's heart. But she does anyway. She does knowingly, which irritates me. 4.) When Sam finally does actually die, she dies differently. She is killed while saving the life of a girl whom she had picked on and was about to commit suicide. This is all fine and dandy, but I think the girl would have more to live with after the incident. I don't feel it would help her, knowing that someone died saving her life. And really, wouldn't the whole "mean girl crew" just be mad at the person who caused their friend's death.

Overall, I don't think I liked  it.

1 comment:

hannah said...

I completely agree. A friend of mine got this from a Barnes and Noble book club before it was actually sold in the store a few years ago and had me read it, too. I couldn't stand knowing that her death couldn't be changed and had a lot of the same reactions you did (with the abundance of alcohol and saving the girl's life, which I thought would eventually cause her more issues). Everyone else has loved it, so it makes me feel a little better that I'm not alone in my opinion. Ha... Have you read "Thirteen Reasons Why"? Another one a lot of people loved, but I really found issue with.