Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Back to the Black Boots

" She was absolutely glowing in her fashionable red dress, sparkly earrings, and passion for God."

I love this quote because it reminds me that my personality and attitude can show off my faith and my love for the creator of the universe. It's so cool to think that people can see God in me just by my conversations with them, and hopefully my "glow". After I read this quote I smiled, moved on, and then realized it's message. Here is my take:

Let me make it clear that I am not that trendy. I refuse to buy things that I think will be out of style in a year. I am too cheap for that. I have decided that my style is more of a classy practical, though I am not sure if many would say I even have a "style".

With this said, I do enjoy dressing-up. It makes me feel better. I don't like dressing like a slob, and lately I tend to dress girlier/dressier than I have in the past; I realized how fun it is. I actually think about what I am going to wear now, rather than throwing something on at the last minute. When I shop I am preparing outfits in my head and thinking of all the different ways I can wear a purchase. I even bought awesome black boots to wear rather than my everyday, comfortable flats. And yes, I am very thankful for my black boots, but that's a whole other post. ;)

Though confident in myself, I know I am not physically perfect. But I constantly try to be my healthiest. I eat well and go to the gym at least 5 times a week. I strive to take care of the body I was given. I take time to put on make-up every morning. I get my haircut on a regular basis. Basically, I keep myself presentable and professional.

What I am getting at is that I spend time on my outward appearance. I take the time to do all of the little things that keep me looking socially acceptable. But with my calender quote this morning, I started to wonder if I am doing everything I need to do to keep my passion for God noticeable. Am I joyful? Are my words "seasoned with salt"? Who am I living for? Am I praying enough? Am I living a life that is questionable to others? Am I causing others to sin? Am I reading and devouring God's word as I am my no brainer, thoughtless girl novel?

While answering these questions honestly, I became aware of how others may perceive me. Especially the past few weeks. I am so "busy" that my quiet times are a last priority. I pray, but I don't listen. Even in this hard time of waiting on results for my dad's testing, I am still not brought to my knees in prayer. What's the deal? I am not joyful. I am sarcastic and critical. My words can be hurtful. I am living for myself and my obligations. I talk about others. Worst of all, I cause people to sin. I could go on. My life is far from allowing others to see my passion for God.

With these struggles, am I glowing from the inside in a way that others can see my passion for Christ?

So, what now? The first step is admitting you have a problem, right?

I found a few verses to remind me of the woman God wants me to be and the things I need to change in order to reach my full potential. I want to glow from the inside.

Proverbs 31: 29- “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
Colossions 3: 12-17- Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
James 1: 19- 27- My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
Wow.
It's amazing what God can put in your life to convict you. A calender? Oh my.
I could find verses forever. I could talk about all of my faults. I could focus on them. But I won't. I will focus on serving my creator. On worshiping the God of the Universe. The one who loves me unconditionally- sin and all.

Thank God for forgiveness.

1 comment:

Megan said...

You still never told me the name of your calendar! I love when you post what it says. :)

Also, I've always thought you had that glow about you!