Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My Christmas Post

I had the "Ahha!" moment. I usually have it once a year when I am reminded of what Christmas is.

My sweet husband put off Christmas shopping for a few of his family members until Saturday. The Saturday before Christmas. Realizing this about noon, we put on our shopping faces and headed to the mall. It was packed. More packed than black Friday. People were frantically running from store to store. I even witnessed a few people pushing others out of their way. It was ridiculous.

This got me thinking. Why is this what Christmas is? Why is it that there are so many people(including myself) running around like crazy trying to find that perfect gift. Spending more money than necessary to celebrate Christmas. Now, don't get me wrong- I LOVE gifts. And I love giving them, but it has become the focus. Chris and I have gone over our list many times to make sure we don't forget anyone, but have yet to sit down as a family and read the Christmas Story- the real one.

Isn't that what this time of year is about? Isn't it about celebrating our Savior's birth?

I got a call from my mom the other day explaining that Christmas was going to be a little scarce this year since she quit her job in September. This totally threw me off. It took me a minute to understand that she was talking about presents. Once I realized this I was frustrated. Not really with her alone, but also myself. Is this what we have let Christmas become? My family is so focused on gifts that Christmas seems worse because there won't be as many presents under the tree. Pathetic.

As I write this I start to think about how much Chris and I spent on each other. Last year was ridiculous, so we cut back this year. The goal was 50$ each, but that didn't happen. I spent $130 on Chris and I am guessing he spent about 80$ on me. We were $110 over what we planned. Sadly this is still much better than last year. We spent about $300 on the rest of our friends and family. I am sure many think this is still not much, but to us it is. This is a large sum of money for a teacher and grad student. This doesn't include everything else that comes with Christmas.
Let me also say that I wouldn't change all of this. I wouldn't change going home, buying a tree, making treats for others, or buying for our family members; I would change how much. Most importantly I would change the fact that gifts have been the focus.

I am almost embarrassed that as a Christian I have not read the Christmas story yet. I have not taken time to focus on the reason for Christmas.

I hope that all of you find joy in the Savior this week and throughout the year. I hope that the giving spirit sticks with you- not just with gifts- but your life. I hope that as you spend time with family and friends you are a light for Christ. I also hope that you take a minute (hopefully more) to spend time thanking God for sending his Son for us. Read his story- all of the accounts the Bible gives us, and share this story with those around you.

"These will be his royal titles: 'wonderful,' 'counselor,' the mighty God,' the Everlasting Father, 'the Prince of Peace.' Isaiah 9:6

No comments: