Friday, July 8, 2011

A Few Classics

I received a stack of about 10 books that I would be teaching this school year, so I have been slowly, and I mean slowly, working my way through them.

The first one is the ever popular "To Kill a Mockingbird"
 
I read part of this book in college but never got interested, so I didn't finish it. I used Spark Notes for the test.... judge if you wish. I'm not ashamed.
I enjoyed it much more the second time around and can't wait to teach it! So many great quotes to be discussed. A couple of my favorite are:

"They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand.  It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."

The second book is "Of Mice and Men"

I am not a huge fan. Definitely will be great for teaching imagery, so that's what will be done. And maybe a good Euthanasia debate to spice things up?

No comments: