Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Here Goes Nothing: A Year Without Clothes

Not exactly "without clothes". I just thought it sounded better.

I have decided to go ONE whole year without buying any new clothes. The Rules:

1) I am starting a new school, so I can buy school attire (t-shirts, polos) etc. I cannot go overboard because I get buy happy. Maybe 1 general shirt and then depending on if I coach/ sponsor anything, I will buy what is needed.

2) If I lose weight, I can buy clothes I need to replace what no longer fits. I will try to buy used first.

3) If I desperately am in need of something (and even my uber cheap  husband thinks so) I may buy it. Unfortunately I don't think this will happen. Chris informed me that "need" means I have no more shoes, jeans, shirts, etc. Considering I have multiple of each, I think I'm set.

4) We run our first marathon in October. This is a big deal. If the shirt we get is ugly, and they have other options for sale, I may buy something.

5) If we move somewhere with a totally different climate, I can buy what I need.

6) I can buy used clothing- but only if I need it. Not the desperate "Chris has to approve" need, but not buying things because I can.

7) Gloves/ Hats for winter don't count. Why? because I need (and yes, need is a great word to use here) new gloves. Mine have holes.

8) I think that's it for rules/ exceptions. Oh! If I get a gift card as a gift I can buy new.

Reasons to do this:
  • I have too many clothing items. I really do. Some would say I don't have that much, and compared to many, I probably don't, but I still don't need all I have.
  • I want to push myself. I like a good challenge.
  • I really like a good challenge when people don't think I can do it. :)
  • I am wasting money buy buying things that I don't need.
  • It's kind of dumb to buy new when there are so many old pieces floating around.

No comments: