Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Help


I bought this book a while back, but it kept getting pushed to the bottom of the pile. A few people borrowed it and read it before I had time. But finally, I was able to finish it.

It was fabulous. I loved the dialect, the organization, and the depiction of the historical setting. Stockett did a great job! The plot kept me intrigued and the pages a flippin'. I loved the characters that narrated the story and the different point of views the story was told through. The relationship between the characters was impressive too. Stockett illustrated the tension filled friendship between the narrators in a way that made the reader understand the tension of the time and the struggles even those who looked past color had to face. And of course, what the story was trying to show, I was mesmerized by the relationship between whites and their help. It showed me just how horrible things were at that time. I had never heard it described that way.

What I didn't love was the ending. And for that, you will have to read it yourself. You should do that soon too; so, you can see the movie. :)

My favorite quote from the book: "Wasn't that the point of the book? For women to realize, We are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I'd thought."

And one more: "All I'm saying is, kindness don't have no boundaries."

No comments: